Sunday, November 9, 2014

“The Metamorphosis”: The Manager


          There are five workdays and two extra workdays in a week. Today is Tuesday, another workday, the beginning of a long week. 

I was woken by the six a.m. alarm in the morning, just like every ordinary morning in the past ten years. I don’t have to bother that if I would awake my wife because me and she sleep in two different rooms for two years. I don’t see any awkwardness or disgrace on this issue. We have to compromise with our distinct schedules and our livings. My family is a DINK family (double income and no kids), me and my wife never heard of each other before we got married two decades ago. We just forming a family and dispelling the sense of loneliness for each other. Now you can roughly tell that I am already on my 40s path. Luckily, I am the manager, a business manager in Buffalo, the western New York. People might gossip that Buffalo is no longer a prosperous city and it is aging. Well, who’s not aging nowadays! To me, the New York City is no different to Buffalo. How much we could share in the market in America is the priority that counts.

I draw out three pieces of white toast from the refrigerator and put them into the food plastic bag, pour myself some thick black coffee which was made last night in order to save the time in the next morning. I leave my house noticeably and it seems that I have never come last night. While driving, I eat my things and listen to the morning financial program. That reminds me of my university time. I was a finance major student and the carefree live seemed indefinite. However, twenty years later, most of my classmates have made billions bucks and sleeping on the Simmons Mattress while I am gruelingly rushing to my job, eating exquisite breakfast in the café of Hilton Hotel while I am squeezing my time to write out a report before the 30 minutes’ lunch break. Having casted my mind to the memory, the toast is losing their flavor and the coffee is unpleasantly cold and sour.

However, the work is not as smooth as I expected. One of the salesmen Mr. Samsa is late on this morning. Since there is not much assignment to do today, we are pretty peaceful in this slack season. But I will never assert that there is such a statement that the season for not doing any business exists in this unpredictable market. I drove to the Jack Samsa’s apartment. Oh hold on a second, it supposed to be Gregor Samsa, not Jack Samsa. I should bear this forgettable name in mind before I meet him today rather than making embarrassment.

After the sister of Gregor opened the door for me, I lift up my muscle on the cheek and try to conjure a friendly smile instead of an unsatisfactory one and step into the living room and met Gregor’s parents. They are all obese and have no lights in their eyes but weak and trepidation. They are the type of people that I will never tempt to sale thing to and gain profits from. I asked them about Gregor but they just could not come up with a certain answer. After a long interval of silence in this frustrating room, I cannot stand the eternal waiting by wasting time in a weekday. I told Gergor across the wall that we have to overcome the tiny indisposition in work and stress. His father even asked the question for me that if I can come in and check out what have happened, however, received his disrespectful refusal. My mind is stuffed with irritation, impatience, the sob of his sister and mother, the sigh of his father and the wire smell hovering in the room and the tick of my continuously running watch. I said there is no excuse for the absence, and there is no reason of not showing up since I have been here to visit. Finally, some rustles can be heard from the other side of the wall, sounds like an insect is rubbing its tentacles. 
Then, until I dashed into my car and pulled myself together, I am totally unconscious. The door was slowly open and he showed half of his body behind the door. He is a beetle! For God sake he is an insect! He is a giant bug! I thought that was my delusion because of the strong caffeine, but it seems that every person in the flat are tremendously stunned! Mrs. Samsa passed out and Mr. Samsa seems like he was attacked by a monster. Gregor Samsa burst out with tons of words to me for a forgiving with his tentacles squirming and squirming. I cannot stop the impulse of revolting then I desperately escaped from the apartment and bellow all along the stairs.

After this horrifying venture in Gregor Samsa’s apartment, I feel anger, shame and disappointment about him. He is fired in the minute I saw him, period. How can a man evade his work to metamorphose himself into an inhuman thing! That is seriously irresponsible! God knows how much it will cost the company will on the new recruiting! How much time and energy I will waste on a new salesman’s training! That is unforgivable! Unreasonable! Huh, he deserves no mercy, he is pathetic! A loser! After thinking this, I take a sip of my black coffee and try to appreciate its fragrance and bitterness.

“A business man will never descent himself to the stage of metamorphosis”, I murmur to myself. Maybe is the side effect of my black coffee, I feel my back is getting solid, my hands are shivering like the tentacles and my skin is darker than before. Maybe that is just the illusion in my mind.


-END-

2 comments:

  1. I like your story it was interesting. You might want to go back and fix some of the words. it seems like the words at the end of the line keep getting cut off, besides that it was a well writen to my eye. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great details, Alice. In addition to the misery of this man's life, you capture the spirit of Gregor's family very well. Some proofreading, please.

    ReplyDelete