Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Decline

Act I

Scene I
Setting: Milan 18 years before The Tempest. A great feast has been prepared for the birth of Miranda. Prospero and his brother Antonio are in attendance as well as numerous guests.
Prospero (to crowd): Hark! Bestir! Gather before our table to hear what fortune has been bestowed on mine own life. Ere this grand event, mine own life had been bereft of finery. Even the suns all-encompassing rays did not woo me into happiness. Mine dear daughter has brought my life into enlightenment. So let us rejoice in my great fate!
Antonio (aside): I must congratulate my dear brother. The gods have clearly shined on him. They have pleased him with new life, and I shall preform the same.
[Nurse enters holding Miranda]
Nurse: Good Duke! Miranda had been weeping for thy company.
Prospero: Then bring her hither nurse.
[Nurse gives Prospero Miranda and exits]
Prospero (to Miranda): My little cherub! Thy life will be blessed with all I can supply. Be happy and prosper sweet nymph.
Antonio: Good brother! Come hither and let us celebrate thy fortune.
Prospero: Thank you brother. I shall celebrate but only for a short time. My virtuous wife has fallen ill from birthing sweet Miranda but anon let us drink!
[Nurse enters with doctor]
Prospero: Good doctor! Be gentle with thine news.
Doctor: The letting has not improved her grave condition. She is asking for thine company.
Prospero (aside): My poor wife! Death is at her bedside! I must go to her aid.
[Hands Miranda to Nurse]
(to Antonio): My poor wife is in need of my company. I must leave you.
[Prospero exits with doctor, Nurse and Miranda]
Antonio: Power is almost mine. Make haste and push on devious plan.
[Antonio exits]
Act II

Scene I
Setting: Prospero’s library. 2 years have passed.
Prospero: So much to learn! So many areas of study to explore. I am grateful for my brother who takes care of all those meaningless tasks.
[Enter Gonzalo]
Gonzalo: Thy had a meeting with Alonzo, The King of Naples. Thine presence was missed good Duke.
Prospero: I have no time for such boring lectures and meetings with scholars and kings! Antonio spoke on my behalf.
Gonzalo: But good sir, thine brother was introduced to Alonzo as Duke of Milan.
Prospero: Traitor! Mine own brother taking my title. I have given him my trust that he will take care of this land giving my orders but he has tricked me!
[Enter Miranda and Ferdinand]
Gonzalo: I overheard Antonio speaking about banishing thy and Miranda.
Ferdinand: Is Miranda leaving Duke?
Prospero (to Ferdinand): No sweet child. Miranda will be staying here. No one is leaving. (To Gonzalo) Find out more good servant.

Scene II
Setting: docks. A storm is brewing. The wind howled, biting into the skin.
Antonio: Get them out of sight.
[Guards enter holding Prospero and Miranda]
Prospero: What give you the right to banish us? Unhand us!
Guards: Duke’s orders sir.
Prospero: I am the Duke!
[Prospero and Miranda are pushed onto the boat and are pushed out to sea]
[Enter Ferdinand]
Ferdinand: I will find you Miranda.


2 comments:

  1. This could pass as the beginning of the play if it was included in the original. I also like how you included the birth of Miranda and How her mother became ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Kylie says, a good backstory for the Tempest. I particularly like how you caught Gonzalo's good spirit.

    ReplyDelete