Sunday, November 9, 2014

"The Metamorphosis": Bubble Dream

      In the last five years, I got up at six o'clock every morning to practice playing the violin. I have great talent for violin and dreamed to a violinist. Three months ago, my elder brother Gregor told me he would sponsor me to conservatoire. I was extremely excited when I heard of it. I loves violin so much but I never imagined that I would have chance to further I musical study in conservatoire after my father company went bankrupt five years ago.

       One misty morning, I got up early as usual. When I passed by Gregor's room on my way to dining room after finishing violin practice, I unexpectedly found the room door of Gregor was still locked, "He may be day off today" I thought. But in the dinning room, my mother told me that Gregor had no day off and he must be late toady. Then, mom rushed up the stairs to knock Gregor's room said softly, "Gregor, it's quarter to seven, Didn't you want to catch the train?'' But Gregor seemed to reply with unclear  and strange voice. And dad continued to knock on on of the side doors, feebly with his fist. ''Gregor, Gregor,'' he called, "what’s going on?" I stood behind the other side door,  moaned gently, "Gregor? Is something the matter with you? Do you want anything?" After a while, Gregor answered: ''I'm all ready,'' He seemed to made an effort to speak as clearly as he can. Thus, I doubted whether something happened to Gregor. I didn't leave and pleaded with brother to open up the door, for I indistinctly had a sort of ominous premonition about him. 

        The doorbell rang at nearly seven o'clock. "It may be someone from brother's firm"  I thought. Gregor told me before that his boss was so strict with him and he had to work so hard and arrived at company on time everyday otherwise the boss would send someone to find him. The maid opened the door as usual. I stood behind the other side door and possibly heard a thump, not a real crash from Gregor's room. "He may knock off something onto the carpet" I guessed. "Something fell in there" said the man from brother's company in the room in the left. I heard the manager took a few decisive steps in the next room and made his patent leather boots creak. From the room on the right I whispered to inform Gregor, "Gregor, the manager is here." I still can not hear his reply, "He may have a severe sore throat" I thought. 

       Dad had knocked bother's door for several times but Gregor's insisted on refusing to open the door to let the manager come to his room. After he refused again, I could not help sobbing, for I was worried about him and afraid whether certain misfortune falling him. It was terrible that if he annoyed the manager and lost his job, because our whole family totally relied on his job. Dad not allowed me to go out and forced me to stay in my room. I had no choice but to hear silently along the door and the wall to know what happen. Suddenly, I heard the manager burst out with a loud "Oh!"—it sounded like a rush of wind, which seemed that Gregor scared him a lot. I quietly opened a bit of door, from which, I saw the manager was leaving the house angrily, mom cried and screamed and dad was chasing violently the Gregor, who looked like a monstrous vermin towards Gregor's room. It was so incredible that my dear brother, Gregor had become a vermin with extremely broad body and numerous small legs.

        In the evening, dad explained the family's financial situation to mom and me. Dad still had some money left even though he bankrupted five years ago and besides that, brother had brought home some money every month. But the money could not afford the family for more than two years if Gregor could not recover and find a new job. Dad did not work in the five years, mom suffered from asthma and I was only seventeen without any experience of working. I was unable to fall asleep whole night when I heard what my dad said. I lied on the bed and realized that I had slim hope to further my violin study in conservatoire. 

        Gregor's health condition was worse so quickly, and he hardly ate anything every day. One week later, when I opened his door to see him, I found him lying on his bed peacefully without any breath. He died without any sign. But patents seemed not to be so shocked about Gregor's death. In the last week, mom and dad had suffered too much comments from neighbors about Gregor's change. His death seemed to be a great relief to mom and dad. 

         After funeral, parents decided to sell out the house and move to a new place. Dad found a pretty good job in the new place. So, I asked dad if he could support me to further my violin study in conservatoire, he refused firmly without any hesitation. In his mind, studying in conservatoire would cost much and it is not worthwhile at all. I was depressed but I knew what I could do just to accept dad's decision because it was hardly possible to change his mind. 


         One day morning, I sit in attic to clean the violin filled with dust I took from the old house. The violin was the gift my brother sent me in my twelfth birthday. He was the only person in my family who encouraged me to play the violin. I had never play it since I moved to new house.  Looking through windows, I saw some lovely children were blowing bubbles on the garden. Even though the bubbles were so beautiful, they would finally burst just like my dream of being a violinist. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can tell a lot of thought and time was put into writing your fan fiction. It is very well written. Your imagination really set sail while writing this piece. I like the twist that you put on the story. I was still able to connect it to the Metamorphosis. I do however have some suggestions on how some sentences are worded and I would love to help you with that. There were also some misspelled words.Again I can point them out to you. When it comes to sentences using a comma, the following part of the sentence does not need to be capitalized for it is still the same sentence unless it is a noun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany made some very kind offers, and made some good suggestions. You still need some editing. However, the story is quite touching. I like the shift in perspective, and the ending is very bittersweet. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete